Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day. ~Quoted in P.S. I Love You
Residents of Mahaveer Regal and Habitat Splendour Apartment complex, held a Food Mela for regional Indian Cuisines in aid of their neighbourhood hospice KARUNASHRAYA that takes care of terminally ill cancer patients. Residents put up food stalls and proceeds were donated to Karunashraya. There were also counters to collect other items such as clothes, utensils etc.. This is also served as an awareness drive for Karunasharaya in the neighbourhood as they set up an information counter to create awareness about their mission and they also accepted donations.
Knightsbridge apartment residents got together to donate all their household (reusable)items. That includes newspapers, home linen, clothes, shoes, books, toys… All the stuff was donated to a nearby NGO.
Sterling Terraces apartment at Banashankari has planned a series of events for the entire week.
Wall painting: Residents are getting together to paint a wall within the premises for a cause.
Give Life: A blood donation camp is being organised on Oct 2, Gandhi Jayanthi day
Food for Thought: Oct 2 will also see the culinary skills of the Men and boys of the complex as they setup food counters for the residents. The event is to raise funds for a cause.
Share a smile: Residents have identified a school in Banashankari for the mentally challenged. Each student of the school will get a gift of their choice being sponsored by one of the residents. In addition they plan to also provide a snack to all of the school students and staff.
Thanks Giving: For the 380 odd people who serve the residents during the year (maids, drivers, security staff, house-keeping staff, plumbers, electricians, janitors, car cleaners, garbage collectors, gardeners, STP attendants, flower, iron and milk vendors, there will be a sumptuous breakfast served and also tp pick up items from those that are collected from the residents including clothes, utensils, electrical items, shoes, bed-sheets, bags, jewellery, show pieces etc.
..and few others!
All these instances are Residential Communities who leverage their community strength to spread the “Joy of Giving”!
The “Joy of Giving” Festival
The Joy of Giving week is a “festival of giving” and a national movement that aims to engage Indians all across the country and abroad through different acts of giving – money, time, skills or resources and love. The goal is to convert it to a fully publicly owned festival, just like Diwali, Holi or Thanksgiving, none of which are owned by anyone. Started in the year 2009, this public festival of giving is celebrated every year in the week of Gandhi Jayanthi.
This is a 100% volunteer driven, publicly owned campaign. The Joy of Giving Week 2011, slated to happen from Oct 2-8 this year is India’s largest festival of giving reaching out to a million Indians. Events are organized by individuals, social groups, RWAs, schools, colleges, NGOs, corporates, media houses and others. 1 million+ people participated in 500+ events across 40+ cities in Joy of Giving Week-2010, raising over Rs20 crores in money and resources donated, and millions of volunteer hours.To know more visit :-
A giving event could be as simple as a family taking out the maid’s children for an ice-cream party, or organized at a community level as the examples above.
What you can do
Create a core team / anchor team in your community / apartment /.
Promote the concept by notices, posters etc and decide on the events that can be held at your complex. In addition resources are available on the www.joyofgivingweek.org site which can be used to increase awareness amongst residents and plan for events.
• Sachin poster on the Notice board
• Notices explaining the concept on the notice board.
• Core volunteer group to be formed and published and seeking additional volunteers
• Use your ADDA Forum, NoticeBoard and SMS to promote the events
• Conduct a door-door campaign to assess interest in participation
Apartments to devise their own program or can pick one or more from the following. Each of these below will need more details in terms of the implementation aspects, to-do’s etc .. Apartments can also reach out to the core volunteer group at Bangalore (Rajan 9845030095) to be presented a list of NGOs that they can pick to support or plan events based on any of the following.
• Clothes collection (can partner with Goonj)
• Blood donation / organ pledge
• Invite families of Maids, servants, security staff, house-keeping staff – provide entertainment, food etc (giving back to people who serve them)
• Fund raising dinner for residents, families & friends – try and get food at subsidised rates or sponsored.
• Treasure Hunt (participants will be in a car with 4 members/family). Entry fee + sponsors and proceeds go for charity.
• Silent auction (may be dinner for 2 tickets that nearby restaurants can donate)
• Silent auction (face to face with some celebrity .. at a hotel that is sponsored)
• Adopt a nearby poor school
• Have a food fair conducted by residents where proceeds go for charity.
• Collect newspapers from all apartments for a whole month and donate that to charity or to some deserving person in the complex.
• Spend time with senior citizens in the apartment, read for them, take them for walks or drives etc ..
• Allow few NGOs to put up stalls to sell their products at the complex
• Private dinner at apartment with a celebrity. Proceeds go for charity
• E-waste collection drive.
For details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or Rajan at 9845030095.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.