In October 2012, the Centre had asked state governments to amend their respective State Cooperative Society Act in tune with the Constitution (97th Amendment), 2011 before February 14 of 2013.
The Maharashtra Co-operative Societies Act of 1960 has been amended with effect from 16-February-2013. The Act is applicable to 2.47 lakh co-operative bodies all over Maharashtra with an annual turnover of Rs6 lakh crore and a total member strength of 5.50 lakh.
Below are the Amendments.
1. Every Member of the Society must attend at least one General Body Meeting (GBM) within a consecutive period of Five years. The Member must utilise minimum level of services at least once in a period of five consecutive years as specified in the Bye-laws of the Society.
Failing this such member shall be classified asa non-active member and shall not be entitled to vote.
If a non-active member who does not attend at least one meeting of the General Body and does to utilise minimum level of services as specified in the Bye-Laws, in the next five years from the date of classification as non-active member, shall be liable for expulsion.
However, the non-active member can be re-classified as an active member on fulfilment of the eligibility criteria.
Co-operative bodies would be required to prepare lists of active and non-active members annually.
2. The term of Office of the elected members of the Management Committee and its Office Bearers shall be Five years from the date of election.
3. Maximum number of Members in the Management Committee shall be 21. Five seats shall be reserved. 2 seats shall be reserved for women, 1 for SC/ST, 1 for Backward Class, 1 for Vimukta Jati and notified tribes.
4. The State Government shall constitute the ‘State Co-operative Election Authority’ as an authority for the superintendence, election and control of the preparation of the electoral rolls for all elections to a society.
5. General Body meeting of a Society must be held within a period of Six months after the close of the financial year.
is India’s #1 web-based Housing Society Accounting Software
with complete integration to Online Payment Gateway, Society Communication and Facility Management
. We empower Cooperative Housing Societies (CHS), Resident Welfare Associations (RWA), Apartment Owners Associations etc. with online tools to manage their Apartment or Villa Complex effectively.
Please sign up for a LIVE Online demo to know more about the product here : Register for Demo. Start your ADDA (Complete Communication Package), right now, FREE of cost here: Create my ADDA.